Submit a First Novel
The VCU Cabell Award Committee is eager to discover another rising star. Please have your editor or publicist send us your work, or feel free to send it yourself!
Books published January–June 2013:
September 14, 2013
Books published July–December 2013:
January 14, 2014
The Winner will be announced in June 2014.
How to Submit
Send three copies for review, with complete contact information, to:
VCU Cabell First Novelist Award
Department of English
900 Park Avenue
Hibbs Hall, Room 306
P.O. Box 842005
Richmond, VA 23284-2005
Rules for Submission
- The submission must be the author’s first novel, published in calendar year 2013.
- The U.S.A. must be the country of first publication.
- The author may have published or produced previous work in a different genre or form, such as poetry or short stories; the submission must be his or her first novel.
- No self-published novels can be considered.
- Books available in e-format only are not eligible.
- While books with crossover audience appeal may be considered, we reserve the right to eliminate those with a primary audience of young (YA or middle-grade) readers.
- The author must agree to attend the Award events, usually scheduled in November.
For updates and special features, please visit our blog and our Facebook page. Read about the Award for a more detailed history.